MERRILLVILLE, Ind. (AP) — Police say a 3-year-old girl accidentally shot and wounded her pregnant mother in a car parked outside a northwestern Indiana thrift store.
The shooting happened Tuesday afternoon in Merrillville as the girl, a 1-year-old boy and her mother waited in the car while the woman’s boyfriend was inside the store. Police say the man is the girl’s father and apparently left the loaded gun in the car.
The woman is listed in critical but stable condition. Detective Sgt. James Bogner says the girl “had no idea what she had done and she was very scared.”
Police say the man is being held on suspicion of child endangerment.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- ‘Needle spiking’ of women in Britain stirs alarm over new kind of assault
- Cheney’s consultants are given an ultimatum: Drop her, or be dropped
- California travel blogger among 2 killed in Mexico's Tulum
- Inside the world of Buy Nothing, where dryer lint is a hot commodity
The children have been placed into protective custody. Police say the family lives in Michigan City.