EUTAW, Ala. (AP) — Three people, including a small child, were killed and nine more injured during a drag race in Alabama Saturday night.
According to AI.com (http://bit.ly/1R2NSZV ), Alabama Law Enforcement Agency Trooper Reginal King said all of those killed and injured were bystanders.
The crash happened about 5:30 p.m. on Greene County 231 near Eutaw, about 35 miles southwest of Tuscaloosa.
Thirty-year-old Rodney Hutton, 22-year-old Jalesa Kiara Merritt, and 3-year-old Jhayden Pippen, all of Eutaw, were killed.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Scientists expected thawing wetlands in Siberia's permafrost. What they found is 'much more dangerous.'
- 'I should have gotten the damn vaccine,' woman says fiancé texted before he died of COVID-19
- Mass. COVID-19 outbreak mostly infected the vaccinated, CDC finds; few needed hospitalization
- Two travelers submitted fake vaccination cards before flying to Toronto. Each was fined nearly $16,000.
- Forced to play in 'panties,' the Norwegian beach handball team decided they'd had enough
King said they were all struck by a Cutlass driven by 22-year-old Maurice Devonte Wedgeworth, also of Eutaw. Wedgeworth turned himself in to troopers at a hospital just before midnight.
The driver of the Chevrolet, whose name hasn’t been released, was taken into custody in Huntsville.
Both drivers fled the scene after the crash.