PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — A 22-year-old man has been killed in a shooting in Providence.
Police say Jamal Contreras was sitting in a parked car Tuesday night when someone approached the vehicle and shot him. Police say the providence man drove forward a short distance before crashing into another vehicle. He was found unconscious behind the wheel and was pronounced dead at a hospital.
The shooting occurred near the campus of Johnson & Wales University, and students were urged to avoid the area during the investigation.
Police have not released any information on possible suspects or motive. They are asking anyone with information to contact them.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- New research hints at 4 factors that may increase chances of long COVID
- Omicron loosens its hold, but 'this is a choose-your-own-adventure story'
- University mistakenly told 58 students they’d won full rides; it’ll pay their tuition anyway
- Justice Breyer to retire, giving Biden first court pick
- CDC travel warning flags 5 Caribbean destinations as 'very high' risk for COVID-19