COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Police in Ohio’s capital city say an armed woman killed during a SWAT standoff was shot when two longtime Columbus officers returned fire.
Columbus police say 25-year-old Kaitlin Marie Demeo was shot when she fired at officers from the window of a home on Saturday morning, several hours after the standoff began. It is the city’s fourth police-involved shooting this year.
Police say a report of gunfire prompted the initial response to the home where Demeo barricaded herself, armed with a rifle. Police say negotiators tried unsuccessfully to persuade her to surrender.
On Monday, police identified the SWAT officers involved as a 29-year veteran of the department and a 22-year veteran officer.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump’s shifting explanations follow a familiar playbook
- In America's fastest-growing metro, a rising fear water will run out
- The coming California megastorm
- Anne Heche, TV, film and stage actor, dies at 53 from injuries sustained in L.A. car crash
- Trump executive nears plea deal with Manhattan prosecutors
An official from the local police union didn’t immediately respond to a message seeking comment.