WASHINGTON (AP) — Police say two Burundian teens who disappeared from an international robotics competition in Washington have been found safe.
A Metropolitan Police statement Tuesday said Don Ingabire and Audrey Mwamikazi, who were seen crossing into Canada, “have been located safely.” A police spokesman declined to comment on where they were found, citing department policy for missing person cases.
Police are still investigating the whereabouts of the other four teens on the team who disappeared. Authorities have said there are no indications of foul play.
Event organizers believe the teens may have planned their disappearance. Members of the Burundi-American community say they have little doubt the teens are planning to seek asylum, either in the U.S. or in Canada.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Jan. 6 witness Anthony Ornato is at the center of a battle over credibility
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- The 20-somethings who help the 70-somethings run Washington
- An excavation in the sea depths recovers Hercules from the afterlife
- Texas thrusts itself into the center of battles over personal freedom, starting with abortion and sodomy