COLLINS, Miss. (AP) — Police say that a man they suspect of shooting someone at a chicken processing plant appears to have killed himself after a standoff.
Collins police tell local media Tuesday that 41-year-old Darren Jones was found after midnight Tuesday in his vehicle in a wooded area. He was later found dead after a three-hour standoff, having apparently shot himself.
Police say Jones shot another man in the back Monday afternoon at a Sanderson Farms plant in Collins, leaving the second man injured.
Collins Police Chief Joey Ponder says police believe the shooting resulted from a personal dispute between Jones and the victim. Officials say both worked at the plant.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Debunking 5 viral rumors about Christine Blasey Ford, Kavanaugh’s accuser
- Patti Davis: Why I don't recall all the details of my sexual assault
- GOP, Kavanaugh accuser in standoff over her Senate testimony WATCH
- Memory's frailty may be playing role in Kavanaugh matter
- In 1992, Cory Booker admitted to groping a high school classmate and issued a call for sexual respect
The name of the suspect injured in the shooting has not been released. The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation continues an inquiry.