HOLLY SPRINGS, Miss. (AP) — A pathbreaking university president will address graduates at Rust College Saturday.
The Holly Springs school expects 113 students to receive diplomas.
Ruth Simmons, currently president of Prairie View A&M University in Texas will address graduates. Simmons was the first African American person to lead an Ivy League school, serving as Brown University’s president from 2001 to 2012.
Simmons earned a bachelor’s degree from Dillard University in New Orleans and master’s and doctoral degrees from Harvard. She was a professor and administrator at a number of universities, serving as president of Smith College from 1999 to 2001.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- New research hints at 4 factors that may increase chances of long COVID
- Omicron loosens its hold, but 'this is a choose-your-own-adventure story'
- University mistakenly told 58 students they’d won full rides; it’ll pay their tuition anyway
- Justice Breyer to retire, giving Biden first court pick
- CDC travel warning flags 5 Caribbean destinations as 'very high' risk for COVID-19
Rust is a historically black college chartered by the United Methodist Church.