AVENAL, Calif. (AP) — Authorities say the pilot of a glider that crashed in Central California has been found dead.
The Kings County Sheriff’s Office says the man’s body was discovered late Saturday near Avenal.
Crews had been searching for the aircraft since it was reported overdue from the Avenal Glider Port several hours earlier.
The pilot was the only person on board.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Marin, once known for vaccine skeptics, now tells them ‘you’re not welcome’
- Hackers release data after LA school district refuses to pay ransom
- Supreme Court rejects bump stock ban cases
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Trump escalates attacks on McConnell with 'DEATH WISH' post
Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Allen Kenitzer says the fixed-wing, single-seat ICA IS-29D glider crashed on a steep ridge under unknown circumstances.
The FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board will investigate.