PHOENIX (AP) — Police in Phoenix have identified a man who was fatally shot by officers while serving a warrant.
They say 44-year-old Jose Aaron Gonzalez had pointed a gun at officers before he was shot around 6:30 a.m. Tuesday.
Police were assisting the Arizona Department of Transportation in executing a search warrant in a fraud case at a home near 29th Avenue and Garfield Street.
Officers say Gonzalez ran down a hall and hid in a back room.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump’s shifting explanations follow a familiar playbook
- In America's fastest-growing metro, a rising fear water will run out
- The coming California megastorm
- Anne Heche, TV, film and stage actor, dies at 53 from injuries sustained in L.A. car crash
- As risk of nuclear war grows, study warns even a limited exchange would doom billions
Police say a robot was used to locate Gonzalez, who was in a bedroom closet armed with a handgun.
They say he pointed the gun at SWAT officers while in a hallway and was shot.
Police say Gonzalez died at the scene.