MIDDLETON, Idaho (AP) — An online petition is collecting thousands of signatures from people who support staff members of an Idaho school district who donned caricatured outfits depicting Mexican people and a border wall.
The Idaho Statesman reports that by Sunday afternoon, nearly 3,000 people had signed the petition on Change.org to reinstate 14 Middleton School District staff members who were placed on paid administrative leave. Parent Carmen Ives tells KBOI-TV they started the petition to save their teachers, staff and principal.
Photos were posted to the district’s Facebook page Thursday night and later removed, but screenshots captured the images that went viral. The border wall was emblazoned with “Make America Great Again.”
Middleton is about 34 miles (55 kilometers) west of Boise, with 7,500 residents.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Claims of shoddy production draw scrutiny to a second Boeing jet
- Harry and Meghan in exile? Palace reportedly eyes Africa move for couple — 'as far away as possible' from William
- Easter Sunday bomb blasts kill more than 200 in Sri Lanka VIEW
- Sri Lanka military gets special powers after deadly bombings VIEW
- Elusive red sprites, like glowing jellyfish in the night sky, photographed in Oklahoma
The school district offers a migrant education program.