TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) — Topeka police are searching for a person of interest in a homicide near Washburn University.
Police Lt. Steve Roth says officers responding to a report of shots fired Sunday morning found a man dead inside a car.
The man was identified Monday as 37-year-old Travis Larsen. Investigators are searching for a 21-year-old man who is considered a person of interest in the case.
Police say someone was seen running from the scene onto the Washburn University campus. The school issued an alert asking students to shelter in place but lifted it when the suspect couldn’t be found on campus.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie
- Inmate's last words: 'Is it supposed to feel like that?'
- CIA concludes Saudi crown prince ordered Khashoggi's assassination
- In Mississippi, GOP concern rises over U.S. Senate runoff
- Salmonella contamination in turkey is widespread and unidentified
This was Topeka’s third homicide in the new year.