TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) — Topeka police are searching for a person of interest in a homicide near Washburn University.
Police Lt. Steve Roth says officers responding to a report of shots fired Sunday morning found a man dead inside a car.
The man was identified Monday as 37-year-old Travis Larsen. Investigators are searching for a 21-year-old man who is considered a person of interest in the case.
Police say someone was seen running from the scene onto the Washburn University campus. The school issued an alert asking students to shelter in place but lifted it when the suspect couldn’t be found on campus.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- White House attempts to clarify Trump's response to whether Russia is still targeting US elections
- Tale of sex, deception emerges about suspected Russian agent
- In India, summer heat could soon be unbearable — literally
- Trump says Air Force One to get red, white and blue makeover
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
This was Topeka’s third homicide in the new year.