TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) — Topeka police are searching for a person of interest in a homicide near Washburn University.
Police Lt. Steve Roth says officers responding to a report of shots fired Sunday morning found a man dead inside a car.
The man was identified Monday as 37-year-old Travis Larsen. Investigators are searching for a 21-year-old man who is considered a person of interest in the case.
Police say someone was seen running from the scene onto the Washburn University campus. The school issued an alert asking students to shelter in place but lifted it when the suspect couldn’t be found on campus.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- Man's shooting-range wedding proposal was right on target
- California parents of 13 plead guilty to torture, abuse VIEW
- In war, as with California wildfires, heroism lives next to horror
- Fire deaths rise to 71 ahead of Trump's California visit WATCH
This was Topeka’s third homicide in the new year.