CLEARFIELD, Pa. (AP) — Two Pennsylvania women say the pre-Christmas discovery that they’re sisters is nothing short of a holiday miracle.
The Progress in Clearfield reports 78-year-old Barbara Smith, of Pottsville, and 77-year-old Sandra Fitzgerald, of Apollo, met for the first time on Sunday. They hugged, shared stories and laughed.
Fitzgerald’s son-in-law was studying genealogy when he discovered Fitzgerald had a sister. The two women had the same mother, but relatives adopted Smith. Fitzgerald, who was born a year later, was adopted outside of the family. She says she hasn’t slept since her son-in-law told her the news.
Smith says she always thought she was an only child. She learned about her sister three days before Christmas.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- As thousands of athletes get coronavirus tests, nurses wonder: What about us?
- For Trump, 20 days of fantasy and failure
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- That Mysterious Monolith in the Utah Desert? It’s Gone, Officials Say
- Biden chooses an all-female senior White House press team
They both say Sunday’s meeting in Clearfield was one of the best days of their lives.
Information from: The Progress, http://www.theprogressnews.com