NEW YORK (AP) — Penelope Cruz is headed to television to play fashion designer Donatella Versace in the third installment of “American Crime Story” on FX.
The Academy Award-winning actress will star in the 10-episode series focused on the 1997 slaying of Versace’s brother, Gianni. Donatella Versace took over the famed fashion house after her brother was killed.
Co-executive produced by Ryan Murphy, the Versace story is expected to air in early 2018.
Cruz won a supporting actress Oscar in 2009 for “Vicky Cristina Barcelona,” directed by Woody Allen. She has appeared in numerous other films including the blockbuster “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides” with Johnny Depp.
Most Read Stories
- ICE agents arrest man inside Oregon house without warrant
- Instant analysis: Three thoughts from the Seahawks' romp over the Giants at MetLife Stadium
- It looked ugly on TV, but Doug Baldwin’s uncontrolled emotion helped Seahawks beat Giants
- I-5’s Uncle Sam billboard: 50 years and still ticked off near Chehalis
- Seahawks gain control of their emotions, and the ball, to finally break loose from Giants, 24-7