HOLLYWOOD, S.C. (AP) — One person has died after being struck by a train in South Carolina.
Charleston County sheriff’s deputies told local media the collision happened shortly before 7:30 p.m. Sunday.
Capt. Roger Antonio said the conductor on a CSX freight train saw a man who appeared to be sitting on the tracks. The train crew applied the brakes but the person was struck and killed.
The dead man’s name has not been released.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- US downs Chinese balloon, drawing a threat from China
- Florida athletes could be required to submit their menstrual history to schools
- Should you be worried about infection from eye drops?
- Sorry, not sorry: Some 1/6 rioters change tune after apology
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
The sheriff’s department and the coroner’s office are investigating.
CSX released a statement saying the train was headed from Waycross, Georgia, to Rocky Mount, North Carolina. The train had two locomotives, 20 loaded cars and 18 empty cars.