HOLLYWOOD, S.C. (AP) — One person has died after being struck by a train in South Carolina.
Charleston County sheriff’s deputies told local media the collision happened shortly before 7:30 p.m. Sunday.
Capt. Roger Antonio said the conductor on a CSX freight train saw a man who appeared to be sitting on the tracks. The train crew applied the brakes but the person was struck and killed.
The dead man’s name has not been released.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Where you're most likely to catch COVID: New study highlights high-risk locations
- You had breakthrough COVID. Can you start living like it’s 2019?
- McConnell: Black people vote at similar rates to 'Americans'
- US charges Belarus with air piracy in reporter's arrest
- Much of nation isn't active enough — but WA residents are exception, CDC says
The sheriff’s department and the coroner’s office are investigating.
CSX released a statement saying the train was headed from Waycross, Georgia, to Rocky Mount, North Carolina. The train had two locomotives, 20 loaded cars and 18 empty cars.