BEDFORD, Mass. (AP) — Peace activists are planning a nonviolent action in Lexington on Patriots’ Day to protest what they call nuclear escalation.
Massachusetts Peace Action says participants in Monday’s demonstration will stand frozen for two minutes on Battle Green in Lexington before walking about three miles to the gates of Hanscom Air Force Base to engage in “acts of peaceful, nonviolent civil disobedience.”
The action represents the frigid cold of a nuclear winter; the Doomsday Clock, which is now at 2 minutes; and it commemorates the hard work of those who worked in the nuclear freeze movement of the 1980s.
Organizers say Hanscom has been chosen to build the Nuclear Command and Control system which would control weapons in a nuclear war.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Amazon dumps NYC headquarters and its promised 25,000 jobs
- Too big to sell: Airbus bids pained adieu to superjumbo A380 VIEW
- Unclaimed $1.5B prize: South Carolina could be big loser too
- Congress OKs border deal; Trump will sign, declare emergency WATCH
- Trump tests presidential power, declares emergency at border WATCH