BEDFORD, Mass. (AP) — Peace activists are planning a nonviolent action in Lexington on Patriots’ Day to protest what they call nuclear escalation.
Massachusetts Peace Action says participants in Monday’s demonstration will stand frozen for two minutes on Battle Green in Lexington before walking about three miles to the gates of Hanscom Air Force Base to engage in “acts of peaceful, nonviolent civil disobedience.”
The action represents the frigid cold of a nuclear winter; the Doomsday Clock, which is now at 2 minutes; and it commemorates the hard work of those who worked in the nuclear freeze movement of the 1980s.
Organizers say Hanscom has been chosen to build the Nuclear Command and Control system which would control weapons in a nuclear war.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Did you see that painting hanging behind Trump during ‘60 Minutes’ interview? Here's what we know about it
- This major discovery upends long-held theories about the Maya civilization
- Saudi government acknowledges Khashoggi was killed while visiting Saudi consulate
- If you win tonight's huge Mega Millions jackpot, here's what to do next
- Washington tops all states in anti-corruption ranking