CAYCE, S.C. (AP) — Authorities say a section of Interstate 26 in South Carolina was closed for almost three hours after a man with a gun refused to get out of his vehicle following a police chase.
Lexington County Sheriff Jay Koon said the standoff near Columbia ended with the suspect being shot around 1:45 p.m. Wednesday when the man made a sudden move as a SWAT team moved into to arrest him.
Koon says the man was wanted for failing to appear in court on a charge of being a felon with a gun.
The sheriff says deputies saw the man put the gun to his head as he stopped on I-26 near the state Highway 302 exit west of Columbia.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump administration eyes defining transgender out of existence
- Did you see that painting hanging behind Trump during ‘60 Minutes’ interview? Here's what we know about it
- 4 Americans among 5 dead in Costa Rica rafting accident
- Mega Millions jackpot hits $1.6B, thanks to worsening odds
- Hurricane Willa a Category 4 storm in Pacific off Mexico
Koon did not know the man’s condition. His name was not released.