CAYCE, S.C. (AP) — Authorities say a section of Interstate 26 in South Carolina was closed for almost three hours after a man with a gun refused to get out of his vehicle following a police chase.
Lexington County Sheriff Jay Koon said the standoff near Columbia ended with the suspect being shot around 1:45 p.m. Wednesday when the man made a sudden move as a SWAT team moved into to arrest him.
Koon says the man was wanted for failing to appear in court on a charge of being a felon with a gun.
The sheriff says deputies saw the man put the gun to his head as he stopped on I-26 near the state Highway 302 exit west of Columbia.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The little-noticed surge across the U.S.-Mexico border: Americans heading south VIEW
- Judge sides with Congress over Trump in demands for records
- Who is Robert Smith, the man paying off Morehouse graduates’ loans?
- Jamie Oliver's UK restaurant chain collapses into insolvency
- What is 'milkshaking?' Ask the Brits hurling drinks at right-wing candidates
Koon did not know the man’s condition. His name was not released.