SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Officials say a vandal turned himself in after receiving backlash on social media for defacing a rock at a popular hiking spot in Zion National Park.
Authorities say the visitor wrote his Instagram username on a rock at Angels Landing in the southwestern Utah park.
Photographer Joe Braun saw the graffiti and posted a photo of it on Facebook, prompting his followers to contact the vandal to complain.
Park authorities say the vandal is cooperating with the ongoing investigation. Authorities say criminal and civil penalties are pending.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Taco Bell loses $42 million Chihuahua ruling
- If you think the political divide is worse than ever, you may be right
- No private jets, no big house: Jimmy Carter an outlier among ex-presidents VIEW
- British Columbia declares state of emergency over wildfires
- Asia Argento, who accused Harvey Weinstein, made deal with her own accuser
Park officials say crews cleaned the area Monday, but restoration can be a costly and lengthy process.