SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Officials say a vandal turned himself in after receiving backlash on social media for defacing a rock at a popular hiking spot in Zion National Park.
Authorities say the visitor wrote his Instagram username on a rock at Angels Landing in the southwestern Utah park.
Photographer Joe Braun saw the graffiti and posted a photo of it on Facebook, prompting his followers to contact the vandal to complain.
Park authorities say the vandal is cooperating with the ongoing investigation. Authorities say criminal and civil penalties are pending.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A Staten Island man found a safe with cash in his backyard — then things got weird
- MH370 experts think they've finally solved the mystery of the doomed Malaysia Airlines flight
- Texas jury hits Omaha trucking company with $89.6M verdict
- 'Epic takedown': Bill Gates draws laughs at Trump's expense
- Toxic cloud caused by Hawaii volcano lava emerges over ocean VIEW
Park officials say crews cleaned the area Monday, but restoration can be a costly and lengthy process.