SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Officials say a vandal turned himself in after receiving backlash on social media for defacing a rock at a popular hiking spot in Zion National Park.
Authorities say the visitor wrote his Instagram username on a rock at Angels Landing in the southwestern Utah park.
Photographer Joe Braun saw the graffiti and posted a photo of it on Facebook, prompting his followers to contact the vandal to complain.
Park authorities say the vandal is cooperating with the ongoing investigation. Authorities say criminal and civil penalties are pending.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Students in 'MAGA' hats mock Native American after rally VIEW
- Democrats reject, conservatives deride Trump's 'non-starter' of a border wall deal
- As Democrats vow to investigate Trump, Mueller's office issues rare statement rebuking Cohen report
- Former Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz is mulling an independent run for president in 2020
- Call for political action after Laquan McDonald cases
Park officials say crews cleaned the area Monday, but restoration can be a costly and lengthy process.