ISLAMABAD (AP) — Pakistan’s military says its jets have killed 14 militants in a northwestern tribal region near the Afghan border.
A statement released by the military says some important militant commanders were among those killed in Tuesday’s airstrikes in the North Waziristan tribal region. It gave no details about the identity or nationality of the slain militants. The information could not be corroborated as journalists are barred from tribal areas.
The Pakistani military has been carrying out a major operation in North Waziristan since 2014 and says it has killed over 2,800 militants after launching the offensive in the tribal area and elsewhere.
Pakistan has also said it lost about 350 soldiers in the operation.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hacker known as Max is 55-year-old woman from Russia, U.S. says
- Many post-COVID patients are experiencing new medical problems, study finds
- A high school marked unvaccinated students at prom with Sharpie. Parents called it Nazi Germany, Republican says.
- Everyone’s going to Hawaii, and the resorts aren’t ready
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events