PESHAWAR, Pakistan (AP) — Pakistan’s military says a roadside bombing has killed at least two soldiers and wounded three in the country’s northwestern tribal region that borders Afghanistan.
A military statement says that Wednesday’s bombing took place in the Datta Khel area of North Waziristan.
It says the bomb exploded as a vehicle ferrying soldiers drove near it. The casualties were transported to a military hospital in Peshawar, the capital of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province.
The tribal region was a sanctuary for militants until several massive military operations claimed to have pushed them out of the safe havens. The army claims to have cleared the area but militants in North Waziristan sporadically strike back, targeting security forces.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Fake images of Trump arrest show 'giant step' for AI's disruptive power
- What to know about the eyedrops linked to deaths and vision loss
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- End of the rainbow? California bill would ban sales of Skittles, other 'toxic' snacks
- A tree fell, killing two children. Their parents are now warning others