MADRID (AP) — An alleged racist attack on an actor of African descent has sparked outrage in Spain.
Marius Makon, a 34-year-old theater and television actor born in Cameroon and raised in Spain, was treated for injuries near his right eye after the Sunday early morning incident in a bar in Mostoles, a town near Madrid.
According to Makon, the female attacker said: “I don’t want blacks in this place or in front of me,” followed by “I’m white. I can kill you and nothing will happen to me.” She then struck him with a beer bottle.
Spain’s Migration Network, which groups NGOs and organizations fighting discrimination, is pressing charges and asking for prosecutors to investigate the incident as a hate crime.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Claims of shoddy production draw scrutiny to a second Boeing jet
- Democrats subpoena Mueller report amid calls for impeachment
- Sanders goes on offensive defending credibility after report
- A portrait of the White House and its culture of chaos, dishonesty VIEW
- Man angry about virginity pleads guilty to threatening women
Police have arrested a 32-year-old woman originally from El Salvador.