BEND, Ore. (AP) — Sheriff’s deputies arrested a Bend man who they say attacked a roommate with a hammer.
The Deschutes County Sheriff’s Office says 34-year-old Matthew Planteen struck the 63-year-old victim early Sunday while the man was asleep. He then dragged him around the house, continuing to hit him with the hammer.
It took the victim about 12 hours to get to his phone and call friends. They went to the home, called 911, grabbed a baseball bat and held Planteen at bay until deputies arrived.
KTVZ reports the victim taken to a hospital in Bend, where a supervisor said he was in critical condition.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A Staten Island man found a safe with cash in his backyard — then things got weird
- MH370 experts think they've finally solved the mystery of the doomed Malaysia Airlines flight
- Texas jury hits Omaha trucking company with $89.6M verdict
- 'Epic takedown': Bill Gates draws laughs at Trump's expense
- Insurer balks at paying for ER visits for certain ailments
Planteen has been charged with assault, attempted murder and other crimes. It’s unknown if Planteen has retained a lawyer.
Investigators say the roommates had a recent disagreement about Planteen moving out.