BEND, Ore. (AP) — Sheriff’s deputies arrested a Bend man who they say attacked a roommate with a hammer.
The Deschutes County Sheriff’s Office says 34-year-old Matthew Planteen struck the 63-year-old victim early Sunday while the man was asleep. He then dragged him around the house, continuing to hit him with the hammer.
It took the victim about 12 hours to get to his phone and call friends. They went to the home, called 911, grabbed a baseball bat and held Planteen at bay until deputies arrived.
KTVZ reports the victim taken to a hospital in Bend, where a supervisor said he was in critical condition.
Most Read Stories
- ‘Suddenly there is a Confederate flag flying’ in Seattle’s Greenwood area – well, not quite
- Washington state lawmakers make speedy move to shield their records from the public
- Meteorologists expect up to an inch of snow Friday in Seattle as cold-weather records fall
- Report: Washington state home to one of the largest cells of notorious white supremacist group WATCH
- Former Huskies star Markelle Fultz received $10K from sports agent before arriving at UW, report says
Planteen has been charged with assault, attempted murder and other crimes. It’s unknown if Planteen has retained a lawyer.
Investigators say the roommates had a recent disagreement about Planteen moving out.