OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — The Salvation Army is seeking nominations for this year’s D.J.’s Hero Scholarship Awards.
Several Nebraska high school seniors will be chosen to receive the award, named in honor of the late D.J. Sokol, for commitment to others and to their community.
Nominations must be postmarked by March 5 to be eligible for entry. Forms are available at most Nebraska high school guidance offices, online at GiveSalvationArmy.org or by calling 402-898-5909.
Honorees receive a $10,000 scholarship toward their selected college or university. D.J.’s Heroes will be recognized at the D.J.’s Hero Awards Luncheon on May 8 at CenturyLink Center Omaha.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hundreds at vigils mourn victims of Branson boat accident WATCH
- Cohen secretly taped Trump discussing payment to Playboy model
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Pilots recount rescue of suicidal man on Mount Hood
- As president-elect, Trump was shown classified evidence of Putin’s hand in 2016 meddling
Criteria for selecting honorees include Nebraska residency, commitment to others and to the community, courage to act independently, the student’s greatest achievement in life and the ability to overcome challenges/adversity.