OXFORD, Miss. (AP) — University of Mississippi students who are Purple Heart recipients will soon be able to park anywhere on campus thanks to new Purple Heart parking passes.
Ole Miss sophomore Don Zielenski will be the first recipient of the parking pass, which rolls out April 24. The former cavalry scout from south Texas was awarded two Purple Hearts after injuries left him blind and deaf on the left side of his face during his deployment in Afghanistan.
The Purple Heart is a military decoration awarded to those wounded or killed in combat.
Ole Miss is one of four SEC institutions to hold a Purple Heart University designation for their work to accommodate veterans and Purple Heart recipients. Over 1,300 Ole Miss students have military connections, with over 900 using GI benefits.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Iraq broils in dangerous 120-degree heat as power grid shuts down
- Forest Service ‘legend’ among the four killed in McKinney fire
- Clu Gulager, rugged character actor of film and TV, dies at 93
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Texas church criticized for its take on ‘Hamilton’