DEL CITY, Okla. (AP) — Police in suburban Oklahoma City say a 13-year-old student who participated in a walkout to protest gun violence now faces a criminal charge after making a threat at his school.
Authorities in Del City say the student told a schoolmate Wednesday not to come to Del Crest Middle School the next day because he planned to “shoot up” the campus.
Two other students overheard the conversation and told school officials. Police say the accused student told the school principal he was joking, but the teen was taken into custody on a complaint of making a terroristic hoax.
Police say they want students to know gun violence is not a joke.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- In Baltimore and other cities, a stolen NSA tool wreaks havoc
- Harriet Tubman is already appearing on $20 bills whether Trump officials like it or not
- ‘It was like a zoo:’ Death on an unruly, overcrowded Everest
- A 102-year-old woman is being evicted so the landlords' daughter can move in
- Hawaii woman missing for 2 weeks rescued from Maui forest VIEW
Students throughout the nation walked out of schools Wednesday in memory of 17 killed at a high school in Parkland, Florida.