DEL CITY, Okla. (AP) — Police in suburban Oklahoma City say a 13-year-old student who participated in a walkout to protest gun violence now faces a criminal charge after making a threat at his school.
Authorities in Del City say the student told a schoolmate Wednesday not to come to Del Crest Middle School the next day because he planned to “shoot up” the campus.
Two other students overheard the conversation and told school officials. Police say the accused student told the school principal he was joking, but the teen was taken into custody on a complaint of making a terroristic hoax.
Police say they want students to know gun violence is not a joke.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- If you win tonight's huge Mega Millions jackpot, here's what to do next
- Saudi government acknowledges Khashoggi was killed while visiting Saudi consulate
- Did you see that painting hanging behind Trump during ‘60 Minutes’ interview? Here's what we know about it
- This major discovery upends long-held theories about the Maya civilization
- To defend Trump, conservatives smear journalist presumed dead
Students throughout the nation walked out of schools Wednesday in memory of 17 killed at a high school in Parkland, Florida.