ELYRIA, Ohio (AP) — An Ohio man and woman have been charged after authorities say they transported five children in the back of a U-Haul truck on a sweltering summer day.
Fifty-five-year-old Brian Dekam and 26-year-old Jamie Adkins, both of Cleveland, are free on bonds after being indicted on child endangering charges Thursday in Lorain County.
Authorities say the pair was arrested Aug. 2 when they stopped at an Elyria gas station for drinks while traveling to Cleveland. Concerned Elyria city workers stopped the truck from leaving and found five sweat-soaked, flea-bitten children ranging in age from 2 to 15 inside the cargo box.
The 2-year-old was hospitalized for heat exhaustion. Temperatures that day reached 85 degrees.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Bezos lashes out at Biden over call for lowering of gas prices
- 'Stay tuned' for new evidence against Trump in July hearings
- Jan. 6 witness Anthony Ornato is at the center of a battle over credibility
- Inside the extreme effort to punish women for abortion
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Adkins told police she was babysitting the four youngest children.
Messages were left Friday with attorneys for Dekam and Adkins.