WEST BABYLON, N.Y. (AP) — Officials have determined that two students squirting pepper spray in a New York high school hallway sickened nearly three dozen students and staff members.
The West Babylon School District on Long Island says in a statement Wednesday the students will face disciplinary action.
West Babylon High School was evacuated Tuesday afternoon when people reported having difficulty breathing. West Babylon Fire Chief Peter McArdle said some of the patients also complained of burning in the back of their throats. He said 34 people were treated at a hospital.
Officials initially said the cause of the fumes was unknown. They say an investigation led them to determine pepper spray was discharged in a hallway.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Forced to play in 'panties,' the Norwegian beach handball team decided they'd had enough
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Man with coronavirus disguises as wife on Indonesian flight
- Why so many people have the worst summer cold ever
- As Herschel Walker eyes Senate run, a turbulent past emerges
The school district said the incident was isolated and that there is no threat to students’ health.