GROTON, Conn. (AP) — Connecticut authorities have released the names of two waterfowl hunters who were killed in a boating accident.
The state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection said Monday that 33-year-old Joseph Formica, of East Haddam, and 31-year-old Joseph Grzelak, of Griswold, died from injuries they sustained Saturday. The department says another hunter, 29-year-old Justin Besade, of Uncasville, was treated and released from the hospital.
Officials say their boat overturned off Mumford Cove near Groton. Firefighters rescued Formica and Grzelak from the frigid water and Besade was found ashore after swimming to safety. Emergency responders recovered the 16-foot motorboat.
A local resident called authorities Saturday morning to report seeing a swamped boat with no occupants. Firefighters from Groton and the U.S. Coast Guard responded.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Turkey: 'Atrocious' recording suggests killer used drugs VIEW
- Sheriff: California wildfire's death toll rises to 48 WATCH
- In Malibu, Woolsey Fire claims celebrities' homes
- A reader's guide to 12 Trump administration targets House Democrats are preparing to investigate
- Utility emailed Northern California woman about power-line problems 1 day before fire
The cause of the accident is under investigation.