PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — Public health officials in Rhode Island are investigating reports of 34 students experiencing allergic reactions after eating kiwifruit.
The Department of Health says the students on Friday experienced itching of the lips and mouths, hives and tongue-swelling. They had eaten the fresh fruit shortly beforehand.
Health officials say some students were treated with antihistamines at school, while a few were treated at the emergency room. The cause of the reaction hasn’t been determined.
The fruit had been cut and bagged at Roch’s Fresh Foods in West Greenwich. It is being discarded and Roch’s distribution of kiwis has been suspended.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- She moved to the opposite coast, but past catches up to Kavanaugh accuser
- As Senate hearing set for Kavanaugh, new accuser emerges VIEW
- Democrats know of second Kavanaugh accuser, New Yorker magazine reports
- Debunking 5 viral rumors about Christine Blasey Ford, Kavanaugh’s accuser
- Lindsey Graham: 'There's a bureaucratic coup going on' at FBI and Justice Department
Students at 14 schools in Cumberland, Providence, East Providence, Woonsocket and Pawcatuck were affected.
Officials are working with the Massachusetts Department of Public Health because the fruit also was distributed there.