MITCHELL, Neb. (AP) — Authorities have identified a man killed in the crash of a grain truck and a train just west of Mitchell and say his 8-year-old granddaughter was also injured in the crash.
Officials say 64-year-old Michael Weimer, of Morrill, died in the crash that occurred Friday morning at a county road crossing just south of Highway 26.
The Scotts Bluff County Sheriff’s Office says Weimer was driving the truck that was hit by an eastbound BNSF train shortly after 7 a.m.
Weimer was killed. His granddaughter, who was also in the truck, was taken to a hospital with injuries.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Iraq broils in dangerous 120-degree heat as power grid shuts down
- Forest Service ‘legend’ among the four killed in McKinney fire
- Clu Gulager, rugged character actor of film and TV, dies at 93
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Texas church criticized for its take on ‘Hamilton’
The crossing is marked, but does not have an alarm signal or gates.