VALDOSTA, Ga. (AP) — Georgia prison officials say an inmate has died from injuries suffered in a fight with another inmate.
The Department of Corrections said in a Monday statement that inmate Joseph Pagen was pronounced dead by the Lowndes County coroner around 3 a.m. Monday at Valdosta State Prison.
Pagen is the second inmate to be killed at the Valdosta prison this year. In March, Benjamin Snyder died there.
Pagen had been sentenced to prison in 2012 in Baldwin County on charges of aggravated assault, false imprisonment, robbery by force and burglary.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The fabulously wealthy are fueling a booming luxury ranch market out West
- In America's fastest-growing metro, a rising fear water will run out
- 6 drastic plans Trump is already promising for a second term
- The coming California megastorm
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
The department says special agents with its Office of Professional Standards are investigating the case as a homicide.