TAMARAC, Fla. (AP) — Florida authorities say a man shot and killed a person he says had tried to break into his car.
The Broward Sheriff’s Office said in a statement that the homeowner was walking his dog and saw the suspect walking around the neighborhood burglarizing other cars early Saturday in Tamarac, northwest of Fort Lauderdale. He watched him approach his home and try to steal from his vehicle.
The homeowner was armed and confronted the burglar. Officials said there was an altercation between the two men before the homeowner fired the weapon.
Local media identified the dead man as 22-year-old Walder Saintelus. They identified the other man as 64-year-old Frank Johnston.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- In Malibu, Woolsey Fire claims celebrities' homes
- France strikes back against Trump, emphasizing a lack of 'common decency'
- Guard troops search for more wildfire victims; 56 dead WATCH
- Police think Alexa may have witnessed a double slaying — now they want Amazon to turn her over
- Shot in the neck at 17, this is the trauma surgeon now leading doctors against gun violence and NRA
The suspect was taken to a nearby hospital and pronounced dead there.