DAVENPORT, Iowa (AP) — Officials in eastern Iowa say a Scott County Courthouse bailiff has been placed on administrative leave after firing a gun in a confrontation with a suspect.
The Scott County Sheriff’s Office says the shooting happened Wednesday morning after a disturbance was reported outside the front main entrance of the courthouse. Investigators say two bailiffs and a Davenport police officer responded and encountered a person carrying a blunt object. Officials say bailiffs discharged a less-lethal device and a gun, and a short foot chase followed.
Officials say the suspect was caught and taken to a local hospital, along with one of the bailiffs, with injuries not believed to be life-threatening. The sheriff’s office did not say whether anyone was hit by gunfire.
The names of those involved have not been released.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Iraq broils in dangerous 120-degree heat as power grid shuts down
- Trump says FBI searched estate in major escalation of probe
- Forest Service ‘legend’ among the four killed in McKinney fire
- Trump did flush ripped-up papers down toilets, photos in upcoming book reveal
- How the Inflation Reduction Act might impact you — and change the U.S.