COCKEYSVILLE, Md. (AP) — Fire officials in Maryland say a construction worker has died after falling down an elevator shaft.
WBAL reported that the accident occurred Friday morning in Cockeysville, which is outside of Baltimore.
Michael David Zeller was working in a building that was being renovated. A preliminary investigation indicates that Zeller may have fallen about 20 feet. It also appears that he became trapped between a wall and an elevator counter-weight.
Rescue crews were able to pull Zeller out. But the 31-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- 'Unfair and unconstitutional': Outrage over detained migrant children intensifies
- Witness describes death plunge of two Yosemite climbers
- 'Are you dead, sir?': Video shows ER doctor mocking patient who said he couldn't breathe WATCH
- Staff cuts at federal prisons have teachers, nurses guarding inmates
- Trump defiant as crisis grows over family separation at the border
The incident remains under investigation. Local police as well as Maryland Occupational Safety and Health officials are also involved in the investigation.
Information from: WBAL-AM, http://www.wbal.com