ST. LOUIS (AP) — The Missouri Department of Transportation has closed Interstate 55 in both directions at the Meramec River due to historic flooding.
Officials said in a tweet early Thursday morning that Rte. 231 remains open.
They had been preparing for the possible closure of the major interstate highway south of St. Louis Wednesday night due to the flooding.
An aggressive sandbagging operation had been underway to keep the lanes open. Other connections between St. Louis and Jefferson counties already are closed, including I-44 over the river.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Biden’s transition gets green light as Trump at last relents
- US agency ascertains Biden as winner, lets transition begin
- Man leaves $3K tip for a beer as restaurant closes for virus
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Pandemic crowds bring ‘Rivergeddon’ to Montana’s famed fishing streams VIEW