ST. LOUIS (AP) — The Missouri Department of Transportation has closed Interstate 55 in both directions at the Meramec River due to historic flooding.
Officials said in a tweet early Thursday morning that Rte. 231 remains open.
They had been preparing for the possible closure of the major interstate highway south of St. Louis Wednesday night due to the flooding.
An aggressive sandbagging operation had been underway to keep the lanes open. Other connections between St. Louis and Jefferson counties already are closed, including I-44 over the river.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Woman gets pregnant while already pregnant, gives birth to twins conceived 3 weeks apart
- Philip, defined by role of husband to British queen, dies
- J&J COVID vaccine reviewed by EU regulator after blood clots
- The era of overzealous coronavirus cleaning can finally end
- A possible QAnon slip-up suggests the truth of Q's identity was right there all along