ST. LOUIS (AP) — The Missouri Department of Transportation has closed Interstate 55 in both directions at the Meramec River due to historic flooding.
Officials said in a tweet early Thursday morning that Rte. 231 remains open.
They had been preparing for the possible closure of the major interstate highway south of St. Louis Wednesday night due to the flooding.
An aggressive sandbagging operation had been underway to keep the lanes open. Other connections between St. Louis and Jefferson counties already are closed, including I-44 over the river.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Forced to play in 'panties,' the Norwegian beach handball team decided they'd had enough
- What you need to know about the CDC's new mask guidance
- A giant red hamster wheel washed up on a Florida beach. And a man was inside
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Trans model makes Sports Illustrated swimsuit cover history: 'If you don't like it, you can go somewhere else'