DANVILLE, Va. (AP) — Officials say the wife of a Virginia town’s mayor has died in a fire at their home.
Pittsylvania County Public Safety Coordinator Chris Slemp tells the Danville Register & Bee that Chatham Mayor Roy Byrd Jr. was at a hospital being treated for smoke inhalation Thursday. Slemp says firefighters found a woman dead in the basement after responding to a 911 call from a male at the house at 2:07 p.m.
City Council member C.B. Cundiff identified the dead woman as the mayor’s wife, Lois Byrd. Family members declined to talk to reporters.
Slemp said the fire is believed to have started in the basement.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Branson mourns for 17 killed in sinking of packed duck boat WATCH
- Oregon wheat farmers try to stop fire that's consuming crops VIEW
- As president-elect, Trump was shown classified evidence of Putin’s hand in 2016 meddling
- ‘You’re a daredevil girl!’ U.S. details Russian woman’s quest to sway NRA, GOP to do Moscow’s bidding
- Sheriff: 11 people dead after Missouri tourist boat accident
Pittsylvania County Fire Marshall Steve Bowman and the Pittsylvania County Sheriff’s Office are investigating the cause of the fire.
Information from: Danville Register & Bee, http://www.registerbee.com