CLARKESVILLE, Ga. (AP) — State officials say an initial investigation shows that the mayor of a small Georgia town died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Clarkesville Police Chief Brad Barrett has said officers found Greene lying in a room believed to be his study about 7 p.m. Sunday. Greene was pronounced dead at an Atlanta hospital.
In a statement Thursday, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation says a medical examiner issued a preliminary finding that the gunshot was self-inflicted. Officials say further forensic testing will be done before an official autopsy report.
The city’s website says Greene was a doctor in private practice who had been mayor since 2005. Clarkesville is a city of about 1,700 in the northeast Georgia mountains, about 80 miles northeast of Atlanta.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Here's what we know about the 'delta-plus' variant, already detected in U.S. and elsewhere
- Should I mask? Can I travel? What about hugs? How delta is changing advice for the vaccinated
- Passenger arrives taped to his seat after assault of 3 flight attendants
- Bill Gates says Epstein relationship was ‘a huge mistake’
- Virtually all emperor penguins may be pushed to brink of extinction, study finds