BANGOR, Maine (AP) — Fire officials in Maine say a tenant attempting to thaw a frozen pipe with an open flame caused a house fire.
Fire crews were called to the scene in Bangor early Saturday morning to find the house full of heavy smoke. Bangor Assistant Fire Chief Matt Costello tells WABI-TV that one of the tenants in the building was attempting to thaw out a frozen pipe with an open flame, and set fire to the basement.
Costello says crews were delayed because the tenant did not immediately call 911, instead attempting to extinguish the fire himself.
Costello says the fire was contained in about an hour, and two firefighters suffered minor injuries. Officials urge people not to use an open flame to thaw pipes.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Alec Baldwin wonders whether Trump's 'SNL' attack poses 'a threat to my safety'
- Newspaper calls for KKK resurgence, schools rescind honors
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- Sen. Bernie Sanders says he's running for president in 2020 WATCH
- Intimidation, pressure and humiliation: Inside Trump’s two-year war on the investigations encircling him VIEW
Information from: WABI-TV, http://www.wabi.tv