GORHAM, Maine (AP) — The Maine Department of Public Safety says an 82-year-old man cooking at his stove has died in a kitchen fire.
Department spokesman Steve McCausland says the man died at his mobile home in Gorham. He will not be identified until investigators locate and notify his family. The fire was reported early Wednesday and was brought under control around 7 p.m.
McCausland says firefighters were initially able to rescue the man, but were unable to revive him.
McCausland says it appears the man was cooking something on the stove when it caught fire and spread. Gorham firefighters found the man in the bathroom.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- Peter Tork, endearingly offbeat bassist and singer in the Monkees, dies at 77 VIEW
- 'I ruined my life. I ruined my future': Two American wives of ISIS militants want to come home
- Rare snow dusts Vegas strip, sticks to LA-area foothills VIEW
- In war, as with California wildfires, heroism lives next to horror
The home was destroyed.