GORHAM, Maine (AP) — The Maine Department of Public Safety says an 82-year-old man cooking at his stove has died in a kitchen fire.
Department spokesman Steve McCausland says the man died at his mobile home in Gorham. He will not be identified until investigators locate and notify his family. The fire was reported early Wednesday and was brought under control around 7 p.m.
McCausland says firefighters were initially able to rescue the man, but were unable to revive him.
McCausland says it appears the man was cooking something on the stove when it caught fire and spread. Gorham firefighters found the man in the bathroom.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- In Baltimore and other cities, a stolen NSA tool wreaks havoc
- Harriet Tubman is already appearing on $20 bills whether Trump officials like it or not
- ‘It was like a zoo:’ Death on an unruly, overcrowded Everest
- A 102-year-old woman is being evicted so the landlords' daughter can move in
- Hawaii woman missing for 2 weeks rescued from Maui forest VIEW
The home was destroyed.