COLUMBIA, Md. (AP) — Police in Maryland say a 15-year-old girl has been charged with assault after she threw bleach into the eyes of a police officer who was breaking up a fight between groups of teenagers.
Media outlets report that Howard County police say the altercation was reported about noon Sunday in Columbia. Officers began separating the groups, authorities say, when a girl began running toward a group of people near some officers.
Police say the girl threw bleach that was in a cup at an officer and people standing nearby.
The department says Officer First Class Harold Tolbert, a 16-year-veteran of the force, got bleach in his eye. He was treated and released at a hospital, but remains on medical leave.
Most Read Stories
- Amazon’s Seattle hiring frenzy slows sharply; what’s going on?
- Who knew a story about Tom the Costco doorman could restore one’s faith in humanity? | Nicole Brodeur
- Swedish Health nurses and caregivers vote no confidence in leadership
- Asked & Answered: What happened to Tom the Guessing Doorman at Costco?
- Seahawks make a few roster moves, and referee for Sunday's critical game against Rams announced
The 15-year-old girl was charged as a juvenile with assault.