COLUMBIA, Md. (AP) — Police in Maryland say a 15-year-old girl has been charged with assault after she threw bleach into the eyes of a police officer who was breaking up a fight between groups of teenagers.
Media outlets report that Howard County police say the altercation was reported about noon Sunday in Columbia. Officers began separating the groups, authorities say, when a girl began running toward a group of people near some officers.
Police say the girl threw bleach that was in a cup at an officer and people standing nearby.
The department says Officer First Class Harold Tolbert, a 16-year-veteran of the force, got bleach in his eye. He was treated and released at a hospital, but remains on medical leave.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- 'I didn't really learn anything': COVID grads face college
- Trump did flush ripped-up papers down toilets, photos in upcoming book reveal
- Simmering threat of violence comes to fore with search of Trump property
- If Trump illegally removed official records, would he be barred from office?
- Florida man filming sunrise killed when sand dune collapses
The 15-year-old girl was charged as a juvenile with assault.