MIAMI (AP) — Authorities say a police officer shot and killed a man who bit into one of the officer’s fingers during an altercation along Interstate 95 in Miami.
Miami-Dade police said 31-year-old Junior Prosper was spotted running up an entrance ramp early Monday morning after crashing a taxi. An unidentified officer pursued Prosper into some bushes, where a confrontation ensued and the officer fatally shot him.
Police said the officer was treated and released at a local hospital for his finger injury.
Police said Prosper is not the taxi’s owner but it is not clear whether it was stolen. Prosper was black. The officer, a nine-year veteran, is also black.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Can you have alcohol after the COVID vaccine?
- After leading a 153-person hike in the Grand Canyon, a Washington health-care exec faces federal charges
- Why the world's most vaccinated country is seeing an unprecedented spike in coronavirus cases
- 4 ex-cops indicted on US civil rights charges in Floyd death
- Mom who gave birth on flight didn't know she was pregnant
The incident snarled traffic just at the start of rush hour on one of South Florida’s busiest highways.