MIAMI (AP) — Authorities say a police officer shot and killed a man who bit into one of the officer’s fingers during an altercation along Interstate 95 in Miami.
Miami-Dade police said 31-year-old Junior Prosper was spotted running up an entrance ramp early Monday morning after crashing a taxi. An unidentified officer pursued Prosper into some bushes, where a confrontation ensued and the officer fatally shot him.
Police said the officer was treated and released at a local hospital for his finger injury.
Police said Prosper is not the taxi’s owner but it is not clear whether it was stolen. Prosper was black. The officer, a nine-year veteran, is also black.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A nurse and her entire family contracted COVID-19 under one roof. It started with a 'selfless' car ride.
- Pentagon blocks visits to military spy agencies by Biden transition team
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- As thousands of athletes get coronavirus tests, nurses wonder: What about us?
- California imposing its strongest coronavirus limits since the spring
The incident snarled traffic just at the start of rush hour on one of South Florida’s busiest highways.