GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) — A Florida police officer whose photo gained him internet fame while working after Hurricane Irma has resigned during an internal affairs investigation.
The Gainesville Sun reports that Michael Hamill resigned from the Gainesville Police Department on Dec. 6, when he was supposed to appear for an internal affairs interview.
Police spokesman Ben Tobias says investigators were looking into anti-Semitic statements made on Hamill’s personal Facebook page, as well as allegations that Hamill had consensual sex while on duty. Tobias says both allegations could have resulted in termination.
Hamill gained attention after a selfie with two other Gainesville police officers was posted to the department’s Facebook following Hurricane Irma in September. Before being removed, the photo had received 181,000 comments, 517,000 likes and 276,000 shares.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Bezos lashes out at Biden over call for lowering of gas prices
- 'Stay tuned' for new evidence against Trump in July hearings
- Jan. 6 witness Anthony Ornato is at the center of a battle over credibility
- Inside the extreme effort to punish women for abortion
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Information from: The Gainesville (Fla.) Sun, http://www.gainesvillesun.com