SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) — A northern Illinois school resource officer is being honored for stopping a gunman who fired shots inside a school while seniors gathered for graduation rehearsal.
Dixon police Officer Mark Dallas attended a ceremony Wednesday in Springfield, where Gov. Bruce Rauner declared it was “Officer Mark Dallas Day” in Illinois. Dallas’ family and fellow officers also attended.
U.S. Rep. Adam Kinzinger recognized Dallas on the House floor last week. Kinzinger says “Officer Mark Dallas is an American hero.”
Dallas was in his office May 16 when he heard shots fired in a hallway. Authorities say he exchanged gunfire with senior Matthew Milby Jr. and chased him outside. He arrested the 19-year-old after shooting him in the shoulder.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Analysis: French anger shifts from pension law to focus on Macron
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- COVID's still out there. Here's what to do if you get it now
- Should you get another COVID booster?
- Stolen valor: The U.S. volunteers in Ukraine who lie, waste and bicker
No one else was injured.
Milby is being held on $2 million bail.