OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (AP) — Authorities say an officer has shot and killed a suburban Kansas City teenager while responding to a report of a suicidal person.
The Kansas City Star reports that the shooting happened Saturday night outside an Overland Park, Kansas, home. Police said in a statement that as officers approached the house, a garage door opened and a vehicle drove out toward one of the officers. An officer then shot the 17-year-old driver, John Albers. He was a junior in the Blue Valley school district, where his mother is a middle school principal.
Family members said in a statement Sunday that they are “heartbroken” and expressed thanks for the “thoughts and prayers.”
The shooting is under investigated. The officer will be on administrative leave, as is standard procedure in such cases.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- White House attempts to clarify Trump's response to whether Russia is still targeting US elections
- Trump says Air Force One to get red, white and blue makeover
- Oregon wheat farmers try to stop fire that's consuming crops VIEW
- Tale of sex, deception emerges about suspected Russian agent
- In India, summer heat could soon be unbearable — literally
Information from: The Kansas City Star, http://www.kcstar.com