NEW YORK (AP) — An off-duty New York City police sergeant has been arrested after authorities say he shot the mother of his child in the neck during a domestic dispute.
A spokesman for Westchester County prosecutors says Jose Guerrero was arraigned on a reckless endangerment charge. He posted bail and is due back in court next month.
Officials say Guerrero was arrested Wednesday after the 39-year-old woman entered a Yonkers emergency room with a gunshot wound.
A New York Police Department spokesman says the 49-year-old Guerrero has been suspended without pay.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Inside the world of Buy Nothing, where dryer lint is a hot commodity
- Cheney’s consultants are given an ultimatum: Drop her, or be dropped
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Biden's critics hurl increasingly vulgar taunts
- Far-right anti-government group grows significantly, report says
It wasn’t immediately clear if the 16-year veteran had an attorney who could comment on the charges. His union declined to comment.
The Daily News (http://nydn.us/1IuZROA ) reports that Guerrero is a fifth-degree karate black belt who founded a Yonkers dojo.
Information from: Daily News, http://www.nydailynews.com