ATLANTA (AP) — Officials say two drivers including an off-duty Atlanta police officer face charges after allegedly causing a crash that killed one man.
Local news media report the Georgia State Patrol said Wednesday that officer Shawn Jones Jr. and Jade Dibaje are charged with vehicular homicide, speeding, racing and reckless driving. Jones is the son of assistant police chief Shawn Jones.
An incident report states Jones failed to maintain his lane, left the road and hit a curb on Sept. 14. The impact of the crash killed 20-year-old Ramish Attai, who was riding in the front passenger seat.
Investigators say witnesses told authorities that it appeared Jones was racing another car before the crash.
Most Read Stories
- Seattle’s income tax on the wealthy is illegal, judge rules
- Analysis: Five reasons the Seahawks waived Dwight Freeney WATCH
- Retired Alabama cop on Roy Moore: ‘We were also told to ... make sure that he didn’t hang around the cheerleaders’
- Jobs that pay without a B.A.: the most lucrative fields in Washington state
- A Washington syrah was named second best wine in the world
Police say the younger Jones was a member of the Atlanta Police Department’s airport division and had been with the department since Nov. 2011.