DETROIT (AP) — A Detroit police officer who was moonlighting as a security guard has been charged with assaulting a shopper at a Meijer store.
The Wayne County prosecutor’s office says Officer Lonnie Wade was wearing his police uniform during the Oct. 10 incident. A shopper, David Bivins, was hit in the head and face with a baton after Wade questioned him about bags in his cart.
The prosecutor’s office says there was no evidence of aggressive behavior by the 23-year-old Bivins. The incident was recorded on video and witnessed by other shoppers.
Bivins says he can’t watch the video because he doesn’t want to relive the trauma.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- After Roe, architect of Texas abortion law sets sights on gay marriage and more
- Kamala Harris could break a record. Democrats wish she didn't have to
- As some Democrats grow impatient with Biden, alternative voices emerge
- Parade shooting suspect bought 5 weapons despite threats
- Bezos lashes out at Biden over call for lowering of gas prices
The 65-year-old Wade was placed on administrative duty when his bosses learned about the incident. It wasn’t immediately known if he has an attorney who could comment on the charges.