AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) — The state of Maine is taking online applications for the upcoming moose hunting season.
The state is only accepting online applications this year. Tens of thousands of people typically apply for a spot in Maine’s moose hunt, which takes place every fall.
The Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife announced Tuesday that it’s now taking applications.
The number of permits issued every year has been trending down as the moose herd copes with parasites and disease. The 2,080 issued last year were the fewest since 2,000 were issued in 1998. The state hasn’t decided on a number for 2018 yet.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Owner of 3D-printed gun company accused of sex with minor WATCH
- Who is Christine Blasey Ford, the accuser of court nominee Kavanaugh?
- Trump says 'hard to imagine' Kavanaugh guilty of allegation WATCH
- A surgeon, who was a 'Bachelor of the Year' and reality TV-show date, is accused of drugging, raping women
- Nearly half of cellphone calls will be scams by 2019, report says
The moose hunt runs from Sept. 24 to Nov. 24. Hunters are only allowed to hunt moose in wildlife management districts where the moose hunt’s open.