AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) — The state of Maine is taking online applications for the upcoming moose hunting season.
The state is only accepting online applications this year. Tens of thousands of people typically apply for a spot in Maine’s moose hunt, which takes place every fall.
The Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife announced Tuesday that it’s now taking applications.
The number of permits issued every year has been trending down as the moose herd copes with parasites and disease. The 2,080 issued last year were the fewest since 2,000 were issued in 1998. The state hasn’t decided on a number for 2018 yet.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- In Malibu, Woolsey Fire claims celebrities' homes
- France strikes back against Trump, emphasizing a lack of 'common decency'
- Guard troops search for more wildfire victims; 56 dead WATCH
- Shot in the neck at 17, this is the trauma surgeon now leading doctors against gun violence and NRA
- Migrant caravan groups arrive by hundreds at US border VIEW
The moose hunt runs from Sept. 24 to Nov. 24. Hunters are only allowed to hunt moose in wildlife management districts where the moose hunt’s open.