BOSTON (AP) — An American college student who didn’t know the difference between the U.S. state of New Jersey and the British Channel Island of Jersey is clear about the distinction now.
Joe Hill, of Plymouth, Massachusetts, returned Sunday from a vacation on the island off the coast of France that was paid for by Jersey residents.
The Boston Globe reports it started when Hill joined a Facebook group called “Good or Bad Jersey Businesses” he assumed was about the U.S. state.
He posted a comment on the page that garnered 1,500 likes.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Battle for Warnock’s seat at center of US Senate power struggle once again
- Omicron loosens its hold, but 'this is a choose-your-own-adventure story'
- University mistakenly told 58 students they’d won full rides; it’ll pay their tuition anyway
- Hiker plunges 700 feet in the latest of many selfie-related deaths
- Bridge collapses, drops city bus into Pittsburgh ravine
Jersey resident Alex Dolan saw it and launched a crowdfunding effort that raised enough money to bring Hill and his girlfriend to the island.
The couple was fed, housed and shown around for free.
Hill called Jersey residents “super friendly.”
Information from: The Boston Globe, http://www.bostonglobe.com