HOOVER, Ala. (AP) — A well-wisher’s holiday gift prompted a security scare at a mosque in Alabama.
Ashfaq Taufigue of the Birmingham Islamic Center said Thursday that an office manager found an unsealed cookie tin and an envelope outside the building in suburban Birmingham on Wednesday.
He says mosque officials didn’t want to take a chance and called police. An officer who called a phone number left with the can determined that the cookies were left by a woman simply wanting to show goodwill toward Muslims.
Taufique says he was sad to feel the need to call police but did so as a precaution amid rising anti-Muslim sentiment. Taufique says he will eat the cookies and invite the woman to dinner.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Here's the difference between N95 and KN95 masks, and how to spot a fake
- As nations decide to live with the virus, some disease experts warn of surrendering too soon
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Popular TV anchor catches COVID for a second time: 'This virus is scary'
- ‘It’s ugly out there’: Rail thefts leave LA tracks littered with pilfered packages
Police didn’t immediately return a message seeking comment.